The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre is the only dedicated pediatric hospital in Newfoundland and Labrador. It offers a wide variety of inpatient and outpatient services.
- Volunteers assist in the audiology offices, working alongside the audiologists to observe their work and learn more about the field.
- Due to limited space in the schedule, volunteer positions with audiology are held for post-secondary students applying to graduate programs in the field.
- Assist health care and support staff in various clinic and office areas with a variety of clerical duties.
- Visit with patients and residents to offer companionship and support.
- Activities may include conversation, reading, games, puzzles and meal-time assistance.
- Participate in various fundraising activities (e.g. selling tickets, used book sales).
- Revenue generated contributes to the financial support of patient and resident care.
Assist staff with the daily operation of the gift shop. Funds raised are used to purchase medical equipment and comfort items for patients.
- Visit nursing units to provide patients and residents with reading material.
- Share your musical talent by providing entertainment to residents and patients.
- Volunteers greet visitors as they arrive at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and ensure that they are on the list of approved visitors before admitting them to the unit.
Speech Language Pathology
- Assist in the speech language pathology offices, working alongside the speech language pathologists to observe their work and learn more about the field.
- Due to limited space in the schedule, volunteer positions with speech language pathology are for post-secondary students applying to graduate programs in the field.
- Assist with various leisure and recreational activities including musical events, movies, board games and various seasonal events throughout the year.
- Assist patients and visitors in navigating the hospital and finding their appointments.
Lesley Derraugh, coordinator, Volunteer Resources
300 Prince Philip Drive, St. John’s, NL A1B 3V6
Therapy Dog Program
St. John Ambulance Therapy dogs and their owners bring joy and comfort to residents. For information on volunteering, please contact St. John Ambulance staff at 709-726-4200.